Thursday, May 31, 2012

when in rome...

Last weekend I went to Rome, and fell in LOVE with the city. I saw the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel, Saint Peter's Basilica, the Pantheon, the Colosseum, the Forum, and many other sights. When we were inside the Vatican Museum, we were out in the courtyard about to begin our tour when I noticed all of the signs about the Sistine Chapel. I realized that every sign was in a different language- I counted it up, and there were 8 languages in all! As I was wandering through the rooms of artwork and old relics, I indeed heard many different languages. I really wasn't too shocked by this revelation, because Rome is definitely known to be an international attraction.




Later, when we were walking around the Forum, I saw a couple that were holding up their camera to take a picture. I offered to take their picture, and the man replied thank you in a very British accent (I thought of you Professor Standish!) After I took their picture, I handed back their camera and him and his wife didn't say goodbye or thank you...instead, in their very Bristish way, they said "cheers!" My friends and I walked away giggling- I hope they didn't think we were rude!





Saturday night in Rome, I decided to go on a pub crawl with a girl from New Zealand I had just met that morning at my hostel...maybe not my safest decision, but I had a GREAT time. We all met up at the Spanish Steps and headed to the first bar. I heard thick Austrailian and New Zealand accents everywhere! We talked in my English class about how Austrailians are big travelers, and I have ran into them in every city I have been in thus far. In fact, my New Zealand friend and I are meeting up in Venice tonight- such a small world!



This picture is of my New Zealand friend Lonneke, and my Brazilian friend Helen...three cultures in one picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment